To recap, I lost my data drive back in December and have been trying to catch up to where I was the last time I backed up, in September. I am also backing up on a daily (or at least weekly) basis. I have a 32 gig SD card and every day (or two, or week, but no less frequently than that), I find every file I’ve changed that day/two days/week and copy it to a directory named for that day’s date. I’ve been doing this since December and I still have 24 gig free on the card.
The most challenging part of this process is finding the files I’ve changed that day. I have Windows 8.1 and one of the changes from Windows 8 is that when you search for files, it also pulls up the directory, so that, if you have, say five pictures in that directory, all modified that day, you will end up finding ten files — the five files and the five files in the directory. I don’t know. I’ve been trying to figure out why it does that, and, more importantly, how to stop it.
This also makes it hard to take a count of how many pictures I’ve scanned in. I think I’m at around 4,700, but don’t know for certain. I’m currently in the middle of scanning in a book of pictures of my uncle and his family that I think my mom inherited from my maternal grandfather. I think I’m pretty close to halfway done with this book, but I just realized that I should probably be scanning in the captions from the back. I’ve done that with other albums, so I should do it with this one.
That sound you heard was my head hitting my desk. Repeatedly.
Just don’t let me forget to back this stuff up tonight. . . .
45 minutes later: Apparently I hadn’t missed that many captions, because I’m now caught up on scanning in the backs of the pictures just in time to give my dad his eyedrops, take my own inhaler, and head off to bed.